The Greater Richmond Continuum of Care (GRCoC) serves as the Continuum of Care (CoC) for City of Richmond, and the counties of Charles City, Chesterfield, Goochland, Hanover, Henrico, New Kent, and Powhatan. GRCoC seeks to prevent, reduce, and end homelessness through effective and coordinated community-wide efforts and services.
Purpose: To coordinate and plan services and initiatives surrounding homelessness, ensuring that knowledge is shared, relationships are built, and common goals are reached. The CoC is also responsible for obtaining federal funding for local programs. video here.
Structure: A board consisting of various leaders of homeless service providers oversees GRCoC. GRCoC General meetings are held quarterly. All are welcome at General Meetings Various working group committees tackle specific issues of homelessness.
- 1997: Richmond organizations came together to form a Continuum of Care (CoC), working together to better serve the homeless. Homeward was created to operate as the backbone organization, planning and coordinating homeless services. Homeward submitted the first regional funding application to HUD.
- 2006: The Greater Richmond CoC was extended to included Powhatan, Goochland, New Kent, and Charles City.
- 2007-2008: The 10 year to end homelessness was created.
- 2009: HEARTH act enacted. HUD has asked communities to formalize their community planning processes and to establish a Continuum of Care board in order to guide the operations of the CoC. More focus put onto the system as a whole, rather than separate programs.
- 2013: The Greater Richmond CoC approved its bylaws. The CoC board was created for more formal oversight of the various organizations.
An overview of the process of establishing a Continuum of Care (CoC), the broad planning group for all of HUD's homeless assistance programs.
An overview of rapid re-housing, including the differences between rapid re-housing, temporary housing and permanent supportive housing.
Important GRCoC Documents:
- Summary of Chronic Definition
- Frequently Used Acronyms
- Homeless Definitions: Diagram of the similarities and differences between the HUD and DOE definitions of homelessness.
- RRH vs. PSH: Venn diagram of the similarities and differences between rapid rehousing and permanent supportive housing
- PSH Models: White paper explaining permanent supportive housing.
- Rapid Rehousing: Infographic explaining rapid rehousing.
- Transitional Housing: An explanation of HUD's stance on transitional housing